If you have a news item please let us know via the Contact Us page. Thank you.
21 January 2015Action Fraud
Action Fraud is the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and financially motivated cyber crime and is run by the City of London Police, working alongside the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau. Their specialist team uses information from all of the fraud and cyber crime cases reported to them to create alerts about new types of crime or those which are increasing in severity.
Action Fraud is now working together with the Rushcliffe Neighbourhood Alerts team which means they can share prevention alerts in the hope that you will be able to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of this type of crime.
Issues that they commonly see include the following:
- People who call to tell you that there is a problem with your bank card and that they need to collect it from you to fix the problem;
- Fraud committed by people selling event / entertainment tickets, weight-loss / teeth whitening drugs, or vehicles online;
- Fraud committed by people who cold-call thousands of people in the UK in order to sell them an investment in shares or precious metals, or who want them to invest their pension;
- People pretending to be someone they are not in order to persuade your business to send money to a new bank account to pay for an invoice;
- The activities of cyber-criminals who want to infect your computer or smartphone in order to steal your banking details or “lock” important files to prevent you from using or viewing them;
- Fraudsters who persuade people to pay a fee in advance of receiving a loan, which never appears.
All of these can be avoided by following the simple prevention advice included in every alert, and which is also posted on the Action Fraud website
Thanks for your attention,
The Action Fraud team
If you believe you have been a victim of fraud or cybercrime, please report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040, or visiting www.actionfraud.police.uk.